Friday, January 22, 2016

Foodie Friday: Honey Sriracha Chicken and Veggie Quinoa Bowl

Who loves food?!


Me, me, me! (raising hand emoticon) I am self-described foodie. I will try anything at least once and most of the time I like whatever it is i tried. Now my family on the other hand is a little bit more reserved. Tim for instance will try  most things but there are some things he refuses to even touch. Escargot for instance, I love those buttery snails but Tm doesn't even want them in the house. And Luke is like most 1 year olds. And hey chicken nuggets, I'll eat those covered in ranch. Meanwhile the dinner I slaved over ends up in the dog's mouth. 

I like to cook a lot of different things and my big kick right now is honey sriracha. I love the stuff. On chicken, steak, and I'm sure it would even make tofu taste good. And spicy is suppose to speed up your metabolism, right? Well even better. I'm also into quinoa. That superfood that taste horrible plain but isn't all that bad if made into something. So for today's Foodie Friday post, I made Honey Sriracha Chicken and Veggie Quinoa Bowl. I know it's a long name but it's totally worth it. I will warn you that it is quite spicy so children should probably have something else. 

So first gather all your ingredients. (Clicky link above and below will take you to a printable version) You'll need: 1 cup dry quinoa, 2 cups water, 2 chicken breasts, 1/4 small cabbage, 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 cup mushrooms, and a handful of chopped cashews. For the sauce you will need: 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, 6 tablespoons of soy sauce, 4 tablespoons honey, 4 tablespoons sriracha, 6 tablespoons water, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. 

I use the Aldi's brand of quinoa which says to boil 2 cups of water with 1 cup of quinoa. This is the super easy part. 

While the quinoa is coming to a boil, I cut the chicken breasts in little pieces. Tim likes his chicken chunks bigger but I like mine smaller. Once the water and quinoa is boiling, put it on low and cover for 15 minutes. 

You then cut up the vegetables into bite size pieces. I usually always have mushrooms since they're my favorite veggie but I didn't today so they are not in my pictures.

Next, you mix all the sauce ingredients together. Make sure you mix it well because the honey will try sticking to the bottom of your bowl. 


Now either a medium or large skillet will work but I like my wok. Pour just a little oil in whatever you're using and brown chicken chunks on all sides. You don't need to cook them the whole way through but I cook most of the way.


After the chicken is nice and brown, about 3 minutes each side, mix in the vegetables and sauce. I give the sauce another good stir to make sure the honey is all mixed in. Once they are mixed in, simmer on medium low heat and cover until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through. 

 

Once everything is cooked, stir in cooked quinoa and cashews. Keep on fire until heated through to your liking. I let mine bubble for a few minutes to let the quinoa soak up the sauce. Serve immediately. 



I added some Scottish cheddar cheese and greek yogurt ranch. Delicious! Here is the link for the printable recipe. Honey Sriracha Chicken and Veggie Quinoa Bowl

I hope everyone enjoyed this recipe! Remember to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Bloglovin!




                                                 















No comments:

Post a Comment